Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Feeling More Like Winter...
This day feels wintry. The clouds rolled in and the air is chilly. If you must wear gloves to do the mowing then it must mean that the mowing season is coming to an end! Brrr...
That was me today... Wearing gloves on the mower. I gave the yard one last mowing and blew the few leaves that we have away from the house so they will blow off once the wind picks up again. I hoed the visible weeds out of the flowerbeds and trimmed the edges one more time. I was surprised how many weeds were out there! It feels great to be done outdoors for the winter!
The evenings are spent indoors and even though it feels cozy to play games and read more we miss the long sunshiny days and the outdoors time in the evenings! We are even more excited to go to Belize now that it's getting colder here! The soft opening date has been pushed back at MBV because of sewer reasons so we are still not sure how things will all iron out on that end as far as our housing goes but we have tickets and we plan to make the best of it.
It was fun to be a part of my cousin Linda Ann's wedding yesterday! I love to be near family and it was great to catch up with cousins and my old neighborhood! We spent most of the afternoon at the wedding.
Justin has got an excited swing in his step this week! He gets his physical on Monday, his permit on Tuesday then he hopes to do the driving when we make the trip to Cabela's! He is working hard to earn money for his first car but he will be waiting to get that until he is closer to his regular drivers license, for now he can drive the truck or the van. He will not be driving my BMW anytime soon even though he would love to!...:) We have a party planned for his friends on Friday night. He has his weekend all planned out to and he says he will be to busy for his birthday pictures but I will do my best to squeeze them in somehow...:)
Jordan is being submissive this week when it comes to his diet. He seems to realize he needed to hunker down and become more strict. He wants to feel well and it was starting to be obvious that he wasn't feeling his best. We have removed flours, sugar, cheeses, juices, and his GF bread this week and we added lots of greens, fruit for dessert and plenty of his signature healthy dishes...:) He is already looking and feeling much better! I can read his body like a book but it is so easy to ignore the obvious and just stay on that "easy road" just because I get burned out and lazy!
Jordan lunches this week consisted of lots of veggies, meat and fruit! I almost always send something hot in the "Lunch Bots" containers but this week I went back to the all out cooking sessions in the mornings before school. Jordan just does better on lots of onions, garlic, veggies and a bit of meat all sauteed together. I throw everything in his cast iron skillet in the mornings and once it is ready and hot it goes in his Lunch Bot container and it's still hot at lunchtime. This morning he had... Onions, mushrooms, garlic, sweet potato (chopped) peas, and some canned organic chicken... all sauteed together then it went in his Lunch Bots and I also put in a dish of soft greens which he ate with his hot dish. It's like a salad and there is no reason to feel sorry for him because it tastes amazing and he loves every minute of it!! Feel sorry for me rather because my kitchen can look like a war zone by the time the lunches are packed! We also added greens to his breakfast dishes and he eats a salad type thing in the morning to. We all enjoy Jordan's dishes and the venison makes it easy to whip them together! I think we will get extra creative and stay on a good track until the main Holiday meals with family then we might try a sweet treat again.
Jordan also drinks Kombucha now!! This is HUGE here!!! He gagged at the taste at first but he is creating a taste for it and I love this because Jordan is the worse one to go for any sweet drink over water! He loves apple cider, fruit juice and meadow tea! I can't have them here if we want to keep him on a good diet plan! We just all learn to do without, even though I do miss the occasional glass of cider! I'm hoping he will soon be reaching for the Kombucha on his own without me setting it down in front of his nose...:) He is doing Kombucha Tea for his Science Fair Project so he is doing lots of research on how this tea works... the findings will hopefully show him it will be worth it to create a taste for it and drink it!!
I bottle at the end of this week again so contact me if you want a starter culture. I'm handing them off more then I did for awhile! I think people are gearing up for winter germs..:) We do four gallons at a time here and bottle every ten days. Fire Cider is also almost ready. This is a real slop to make and my eyes take a beating from the hot peppers, horse radish and onions but it's great to have on hand and to take a bit everyday for preventative reasons!! I'll post the recipe again soon if you want to tackle your own or you can buy from me. I should have lots by the end of next week! Research "Fire Cider" and see what you come up with...:)
Have a cozy evening... The rain and cold weather is coming!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment