The days have been flying by. We are enjoying the season of Thanksgiving! You can feel the spirit in the air. The approaching seasons have more people out and about. The grocery stores are crazy. The roads are busier. I love the season but I like it better when I'm not a busy tizzy right in the midst of the chaos...:)
The last few mornings started out unusual here. Jordan pumped out his biggest steel plate order yet and we were all pitching a hand to help him meet his deadline. I was in the freezing cold garden shed with him really early on Monday morning!! I set Jenika's alarm and she so sweetly got herself up and RAN Jordan his breakfast (that she had made) to the shed because hos eggs were getting cold and we were just not coming in..:) She is the BEST helper in the mornings!! I have come to treasure time with her in the kitchen early on school mornings!
Here is the van being loaded up with the steel plate order...
Jordan enjoys the income from this plate business but he does not always appreciate when being in the garden shed. He would much rather set his traps or takes his gun for a walk!!
Javon has been home from school all week! He started with diareah on Saturday and so I left him with mom while we went to church on Sunday, even though he seemed better. On Sunday evening after church he was here with Jordan and by the time we got home he had spiked a 103 fever! He has had a slight fever off and on ever since along with a nasty head cold! Poor guy is so ready to feel better! We have had extra snuggles on the couch the past few days and he sleeps beside me pretty much right now. I never sleep good with children in my bed but there is no better place for them when they are running fevers during the night. We are praying he will feel better to join his class for there Thanksgiving party tomorrow but as I tucked him into my bed a bit ago he had a slight fever again and his cheeks are just flushed.
Justin is keeping us busy...:) Yesterday we did passport renewal and his physical. This morning bright and early we again dropped Javon off at mom (thanks mom!) and went to get his drivers permit test taken. We got our ticket and waited our turn.(these places can take so long!) We got to the counter and they were not able to do Justin's test with a birth certificate copy. The reason for the copy was the passports! I didn't realize they were keeping the old passports plus the birth certificates at the post office yesterday until it was all processed and Dave was just finishing up paying the bill! I panicked for Justin and the guy at the post office said "you can do the test with a copy". Well not the case for us, so we must wait until we get our hands on his new passport and birth certificate! I felt so bad for him, he wanted to drive home and to Cabela's tonight! But he took it bravely and we hope to get his passport rushed so he can get his permit and some driving practice in before we go to Belize!
After we picked up Javon and made it back home I got him settled on the couch with a movie and went to town in the kitchen. It's the fun time of year where you really need no excuse to bake up lots of yummy goodies! I have been pinning on Pinterest and I put it to practice today.
I struggle with recipes! I like to just dump stuff together. A recipe is stressful for me to follow. Today I tried two different desserts for Jordan. To make his Thanksgiving vacation more special with treats that he can have. I have to follow closely to a recipe when making GF desserts so I was a bit frazzled by the time his two desserts were done! I will share them at the bottom if I don't stress to bad coping them down...:)
We get to enjoy Thanksgiving day with my family at Kath's this year. I'm taking pies and sweet potatoes. The pies got made today. Seven pumpkin pies, (some will go to the cabin for buck season!) a deep dish pecan pie are all done and ready to be devoured. The deep dish pecan pie had to have three batches of filling made to fill the pie crust! I kid you not when I say it's a "deeeep dish"!
Mom and Marilyn each bring a few dishes to, it takes a load off of the host when we all chip in to provide the yummy meal! We love Thanksgiving together!
This year mom and dad will be staying with grandma Beiler some of the Thanksgiving day. They will miss out at Kath's a bit. It seems like we could just bring grandma to have lunch with us but her Demntia has her mind so far gone that it's hardly worth taking her out anymore. Mom and dad are also taking turns to care for my Daudy Dienner so my parents seem to be in a very busy stage of life right now. They are often running from one grandparent to the other and sometimes mom does her shift at Mommy B while dad is with Daudy D! They feel blessed to still have there parents and they care for them well.
Dave has the big boys up at Cabela's tonight. Jordan is getting a rifle for his thirteenth birthday and he is beyond excited about owning his own rifle! He has been waiting patiently for a nice buck and he is hoping to get one with his new gun on Monday. We think Thanksgiving and then right away the cabin for the weekend! I mixed up a batch of "gingerdoodles" (a mixture between... molasses, gingerbread and a snickerdoodle cookie!) I need to bake them yet tomorrow sometime.
The kitchen is clean,the house still smells good from all the baking. We had chicken drumsticks, potatoes and green beans for supper. The leftovers now get stored on the side porch because it is colder outside then in the fridge. I enjoy just setting leftovers outside and using my porch for an oversize fridge/freezer this time of the year...:)
Jenika is so patient and she has helped Javon with his catch up school work every evening so far...:) When he is to tired to write the answer she asks him the answer and writes it down for him. I guess this is legal...?..:) He is really not up to doing much school work so he is more then happy for her assistance I can tell...;)
Here are the recipes I made for Jordan today... These were work and time consuming but it's so much more fun when he can enjoy treats over the holiday seasons along with everybody else. We substitute the eggs for duck eggs and the butter with coconut oil.
"Salted Caramel Maple Pecan Pie Bars!"
For the crust
3/4 cup pecans
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder (to thicken)
pinch salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. maple syrup
For the filling...
1 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
2 tbsp. full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp. course sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
1 tsp. arrowroot powder
3 tbsp. maple syrup
To make dough... Put pecans into food processor and process until fine. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to combine. Put in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about twenty minutes until firm.
Press into 5x5 pan. Bake 350' 15 minutes.
To make filling toast pecans on baking sheet about 8 minutes. Place remaining ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly for three or four minutes. Until sauce is thick smooth and golden. Fold in pecans and pour over crust. Bake for another 15 minutes.
These are a bundle of ohhy gooey goodness!! They are cut into small squares and I hope they last Jordan pretty long...:)
The next one is so yummy to!! They took assembling but they were worth it...:)
Coconut Cream Pie"
For the crust...
Shortbread cookie crumbs (I made homemade GF ones) crumbled
For the custard...
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
6 egg yokes
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
Garnish with cream and toasted coconut (we skipped the cream)
Pour coconut milk into a small sauce pan and place over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around the edges.
In a medium size bowl whisk the egg yokes and the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly pour the coconut milk over the egg mixture while whisking to warm the eggs. Place the mixture back into the pot and place over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and is very thick. Transfer to a heat safe container and cover the pudding directly with plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours. When the custard has cooled spoon in the shredded coconut and coconut extract.
Assemble in small glass ramekins. Cookie crumbs, custard, cream then toasted coconut.
These are adorable and will not last long enough since I love them to!...:)
I'm off to bed beside Javon again... I'm praying he will be all back to himself in the morning!
Be THANKFUL for your many blessings this week and always! Once again we are feeling so blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment