Lancaster County is breathtaking from the sky!...
Dave and I ran the Bird-in-Hand Half Marathon the last three years and I wanted to again this year. Dave had made up his mind at about mile eleven last year that this is it and he will be watching from the sky next year! I was planning to register but was hesitating hoping that he would change his mind and join me yet! I went on to register finally and the run was full and was taking no more runners. Soon after I sprained my ankle and figured out it was a good thing I hadn't registered after all.
Saturday morning Dave and I got up early. Filled up the parachute plane with gas. Got it running good and headed for Bird-in-Hand. I had butterflies so bad all morning but more from the thought of running then from the plane ride because at this point I still thought I'd be watching from the ground.
We found a field close by that we asked permission to take off out of. It was already so sticky warm with humidity to! I decided I would soon get sick of it on the ground where it was warm and I couldn't see all the action anyway. I went along up to watch from the sky and I'm so glad I did!
It was so still with a bit of fog in the air. We took off soon after the runners started out. We landed around mile five to watch Sadie and Sam run past then we turned the chute around and headed back up again! We were watching the first place runners fight for that number one spot! Benuel from the shop was in first place for the first four miles or so but by the time the finish line came around he came in around number twenty something since he started out to fast and had a side ache. The top runner had it beat by a long shot with at least a half mile or so before the second place runner!
The pacer at the front of the pack was a horse and cart!
Some pictures I captured from the air...
The finish line from the sky...
Next year I hope to be on the ground running again even though this was so much more fun up here where it was breezy and cool! It just wasn't as fulfilling and I miss the feelings that the training brings..:)
The two hour mark is where the big pack is and we left soon after watching this pack come across the finish. The temps and humidity were high and this had people swaying and stumbling over the finish line! The run started a half hour later this year and that half hour can make a big difference when it's so hot out! The EMT's were kept so busy and they had to call in more ambulances to haul the people to the hospital! As Dave and I were walking back up the road to load up the plane we rounded what Dave calls "Heartbreak Corner" It's the last corner and to the runners it looks like they are not near there yet but the finish line cuts in and they are so close! One lady was running and as she rounded this corner she just stopped and as another runner stopped to see if she was okay she just put her head on her shoulder and sobbed! Literally! We encouraged her and told her she can do it "You are almost there!" Then she took off again kind of still sobbing! Dave and I could laugh this year! The heat really was rough!
Today is the first of our Fall Ladies Bible Study and it's time to get the kids up for school... Enjoy your day!








Cant believe you were up with dave
ReplyDelete