Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Soup... Support Group Sharing...



Soup turned out yummy! We all love it and I can tell it won't go far since it is one of the very few handy, go to, grab and quick foods that Jordan can have!

Recipe? None. I just baked chickens for a few hours, cooked GF sausage, put navy beans in the crock pot overnight, cut up and cooked fresh potatoes from sissy's garden, made just a small amount of bean pasta and rice. Lots of veggies and mixed it all together and canned it...:) Carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, peas, beans... Everything ORGANIC!  (okra was picked out since I never used it before and I soon discovered it was slimy! Nasty in this soup I thought:}) I cooked the chicken bones in water and seasonings all day and it made a wonderful tasting stock that went along with the mixture. Justin and Jordan had some in the lunch Bot's today and they both said it was really good!... Bingo! this made nine quarts and fourteen pints. This will be great for Jordan! Now I want to try another kind with a tomato base tomorrow.

Today's Food Support Group was great!! It was a better turnout and the lovely day had us on the back porch as we shared our food thoughts. Thanks Ladies that came out! All had some challenges with children. It makes me realize I'm not alone as a mom dealing with food sensitivities and I'm also one of the few with an easy kid! Thanks again Jordan! Some have hyperactivity/over stimulation to deal with, others have babies and the food needs to be rotated on a daily bases! Sounded so complicated to me so if you think about it "Pray for Nicole"! Others want to learn more about the "baby step" process to a healthier kitchen and I think this is the most important of all!! PREVENTION!

Today one of the ladies brought a yummy sweet potato dish to share. Here is the recipe...

Sweet Potato with a Coconut Twist...

4-5 medium sweet potatoes peeled and grated (makes around 8 cups grated)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Blend the following items in a blender...
1 cup coconut milk from a can (shake before opening)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. unrefined sea salt
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup water
Directions...
Pour blender ingredients into sweet potato mixture and mix well until sweet potato shreds are coated. Bake 350' for about an hour.

It was yummy! Thanks Ruthie!!

We talked about how harmful sugar is and how hard it is to kick the habit! According to Jordan it takes a few weeks to actually be clean and okay with it! He still wants sugar because it just makes things taste better but he is past the "gotta have it, can't live without it" phase and this is a hard phase to reach, but well worth it once it's conquered! I'm still not there but we are starting to find alternatives for that sweet tooth and the next step of this "Baby Stepping" journey is within reach.

One of the mom's shared today about making meadow tea this summer with stevia. The family did not like it at all so she just started to add it slowly with still a bit of sugar. Then just adding more and more stevia with less of the harmful sugar and before we know the family don't even seem to know the difference!...:) I love this!

We talked about just introducing "Real Food". If they choose not to eat it at least introduce it anyway just with some foods that you already know they will eat. If they only take a bite or two celebrate that they at least tried it. Keep it up and don't give up, it will get better! We mom's do the grocery shopping so it is up to us what the family eats. I just know how hard it is when shopping and thinking to myself as I'm choosing healthy foods and putting them into my cart that "They will never touch this stuff!" I am so embarrassed to admit that I threw so many veggies out when beginning this healthier journey! I had great intentions but for long that was all the farther I got. Now when the veggie drawers are low in the fridge we almost panic! I love the way we now get creative with veggies and when things need to be used up we just make a stew with lots of veggies! This is also a great way to conserve meat! Jordan's meat was so much more expensive so I learnt how to make it go farther and now we pretty much all eat Jordan style meat. It does not have to be more expensive to eat healthy if done right.

Jenika and I have girl time every Wednesday evening lately. The guys have a campfire, games, fishing and a DVD series going on at Amy's pond every Wednesday evening in September. Tonight they are having a pigeon shoot! (I hear the pows as I type!!) Javon loves the party to but after getting to bed to late the last few Wednesday evenings and falling asleep on the bus I gave strict orders to have him home earlier tonight even if he is having fun!...:)


I got a wonderful afternoon run!! Having all the kids in school is what made this possible today... I enjoyed the cooler temps and I could have just went and went!...:)


I'm off to hangout with my princess...:)


Come join our educational support group next week!! We'd love to have you!! The snack today was watermelon from the garden, Jordan's muffins, Jordan's bread with salsa and shredded cheese broiled, Sweet potato casserole and I opened a soup up to let the ladies taste and they all seemed impressed... Unless they were only trying to make me feel good...:) It really is yummy!

Have a BLESSED evening!






No comments:

Post a Comment