It feels great to finally be filling up the canned shelves! I love to preserve foods! It's so my thing and I think I could do it for a living if I didn't have so many other demands that come with this household!...:)
It took a bit to get in the groove since I waited so long to start the process this year. I was about to throw up my hands and say I just won't be filling those shelves up this year but now that I'm rolling I'm so glad I didn't throw in the towel!... It will be so handy to eat out of the jars again!
Twenty gallons of tomato is what I got out of six boxes of tomatoes. I was cooking up tomatoes all the while I was chopping up the veggies for salsa. Around fifty jars of salsa is now done. (My birthday gift from Dave was perfect for all this chopping!!! (~Cutco!!~)
Twenty jars of marinara sauce got done today as well as four great big pumpkins which got us around twelve quarts of pumpkin puree to start off the creativity with our favorite fall flavor!
Soups are on the canning schedule next and I hope to get to them before I lose the momentum...:) Javon loves any kind of soup so lunch packing is easy once we have the soup in jars! Justin loves pepper relish so I plan to do a batch of that tomorrow. He thinks anything is edible if it has enough of good sauce on it...:)
Justin is at ball practice getting geared up for the Gospel Express Ball Tournament coming up this weekend! It's also our school sale day! Come out to enjoy yummy food, fun auction, kids activities all day plus the 5K and fun run going on in the morning! I'm thinking we will be running if we have enough of volunteers to be on the side lines...:) Dave is at the Lancaster Coutry Club tonight so it's just me and the three youngest. We have a full time job in the evenings with bible memory, spelling words, Javon's reading assignment and any homework that needs to be finished up. Mostly it's Jordan that has homework a few evenings a week. We are still getting used to this homework stuff since we hardly ever had homework at Fairhaven. It gets a bit stressful for "carefree" Jordan some days!
Last night Dave did great hosting the Belize presentation at Shady Maple! His crowd was large. He loves investing and sharing his interest with others has become his new highlight!
I'm enjoying a few hours in the first grade classroom once a week! I'm teachers helper for a few hours and Javon loves having me in his classroom during reading groups!
The weather is again warm in the afternoons with cool mornings and evenings. I love it! I hope it stays this way for a long time yet!
I'm off to get the last of the pumpkin off the cooker... I'm thankful for the energy to complete days like today because it took all that I had plus some but I'm feeling a sense of accomplishment that comes along with filling up those canned shelves at this time of year!
We are feeling so BLESSED once again!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment