He was hunting Saturday morning in the cool crisp air on a perfect day when he had the action in the woods of his life!... I will let him tell you the story here... Go ahead Jordan...
I was sitting in my tree stand and dad had told me before I went out that morning that he will bring some guys out and drive out the thick valley at about 8 o'clock. Sure enough at about 8 o'clock two doe came running out at full speed right under my tree. I grabbed my gun and started shooting, I shot thee times at the running doe and hit the one twice. after I had shot I heard dad yelling. Then I heard all of the sudden everybody making the drive started yelling that there was a BIG buck. Then I heard two shots then everything was quiet. Knowing dad was the only one making the drive carrying a gun I got all excited. I sat for about two or three minutes without hearing anyone. That made me think that dad had got a buck. So I climbed down the ladder and started walking down the trail. Then I heard them again and the buck was not dead but this time I was out of my tree stand. I decided I better get back to my stand, so I turned around and the BIG buck was right there running 15 yards from me! For a second or two I stood there in shock staring at the biggest buck I had ever saw in my life! I grabbed my gun and shot! He fell over and got back up and started running again so I shot again and he fell over and started trying to crawl away so I shot him again then he died! Dad came running down the hill all excited. Turns out that he had shot at it and hit it the first time and missed the second time. So I was the one finishing the deal and it was good I was there to because dad had just shot his last bullet! It was a blast and I was so happy to finally have a buck and then such a big one was all the better!!
Thanks Jordan... Sounds like action to me! I wish so bad I could have been there right in the thick of it all!...:)
The road crew got these few days as an appreciation for all the hard work and messy stuff they deal with out on the roads throughout the year. They really enjoy the time at the cabin and I don't blame them! A few deer were shot by guys who had never even shot a deer before! They were happy to be taking home meat for the freezer to! The Mexicans that work for us were right there all involved in the drives and the way they tell stories in broken English just puts the icing on the cake!
Dave so enjoyed seeing Jordan shoot the big buck! He was the one on the drive with the guys and he had a gun. He shot at the buck to but it ran down Jordan's way. Dave didn't know who the hunter was down on the bottom of the ridge shooting the buck that they were after so he was so surprised when he came up to have a look (after the hunter had put the deer down) and it was Jordan! They called me right away and the excitement just rang through the phone!!
I have yet to pick up the meat and put it in jars but we have been so blessed with deer meat this year that we are selling our steer to Smoky! We had planned to butcher a steer that we are raising on Sam's meadow before we go to Belize but since we got three big bucks we decided to sell the steer. It's great to have hunter guys around here and tonight when I was helping Jordan do some steel plates in the garden garage he said "It feels weird not to be out hunting!" His season was so full of action and he loved every minute of it!!
Today I packed some bags! I bought a new suitcase and got some piles of clothes stacked. I filled a bag with cosmetics and I have been making lists left and right. Lists of things that need to be done here before we leave. List's of things that need to be packed and List's of things that I need to make and take for the Christmas Parties!... The Christmas baskets are now ordered for the Horizon banquet next week. The Stoltzfus Christmas Banquet takes place this week.
This place here is buzzing with action and we are getting geared up for Christmas and then our winter away. Javon also has a little note card numbered and every morning he crosses off another day... It is getting close to his birthday and he is counting down the days on his little note card!!
Tomorrow morning Justin and I head out with the school children. We hope to make a quick dash for his permit since he now has his hands on his original birth certificate. He is excited to get behind the wheel and drive!!
School Programs are tomorrow to! Two of them... One at noon and one in the evening! The school children were in bed early tonight in preparation for a full day tomorrow! Jordan is working ahead on steel plates in case he gets an order when we are away and then after dark he is working on writing on his science fair board. He is learning so much about Kombucha Tea and he is now even reaching for and drinking it without being told to!..:)
Enjoy this wonderful time of year to the fullest!! Praise the Lord for the Christmas plan that he put in place and carried out for us!!
Way to go jordan but be careful! Sounds like you were in harms way.its not all about the deer ts staying safe among the hunters.we love you lots!
ReplyDelete