Coconut Cream Cake... I made this for my buddy day tomorrow! I love coconut and always seem to go for the coconut recipes lately when I want to bake something.
Here is the recipe... I can't wait to taste!!
6 egg whites
3/4 cup butter softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
syrup...
14 oz coconut milk
14 oz sweet milk
Topping...
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
flaked coconut
Place egg whites in bowl and let set 30 minutes at room temp.
In another bowl, cream butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.
Combine coconut milk, milk and vanilla.
Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed sugar and butter mixture alternately with the milk mixture.
With clean beaters beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
Pour into 9/13 pan and bake 350 for 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat again. Spread over cooled cake and top with coconut flakes.
I have been trying out new coconut flour recipes as well. My kids have always loved pancakes with tons of syrup! I have gotten them off of the syrup habit and have not been buying syrup for some time now. They use cream or drizzle pure maple syrup on top. I never like that they eat pancakes from store bought pancake mix so I found a few coconut flour recipes for pancakes and they really are good!
Here are a few of those...
4 eggs (room temp)
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
mix eggs two minutes then add milk, vanilla, honey and the dry mixture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 eggs
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking soda
cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. honey
mix and fry with coconut oil.
I know these freeze well to, and since Justin loves pancakes before work in the morning I want to make some of these this week and freeze them. When he comes home from camp and goes back to work I think these will be way more handy at five thirty in the morning (not to mention healthier) rather then slopping around with mixing and frying them that early. I hope they are a hit frozen as well!...:)
I want to try more recipes using nut flours. I know it can be tricky, I have much to learn but I'm up for the challenge...:) I made a healthy granola today that I used coconut and coconut flour in. Dave eats it every morning so making it healthy is a goal of mine. This time I used all organic nuts and oats. Raw Honey for the sweetener. I also have bread baking today. I have yet to use coconut flour in that...:) I'm not that brave yet....:)
It has been raining here off and on today!! Heavy showers. We are glad for them even though the gardens are already soaked. It seems when there is moisture in the air it just don't get as hot and humid. We are loving the cooler temps and rain showers. We just swim in the rain...:)
It's a perfect day for being in the kitchen!...:)
Suz, I would love to have that coconut flour granola recipe! I haven't yet found a granola recipe that's mostly gluten free... that we like. Did you know all nuts and grains should be soaked before eating? It's HARD to be healthy enough! :)
ReplyDelete