I'm amazed at how we just seem to be getting used to this weather pattern! Unsettled looking in the morning, a good hard shower that might last a few hours, then comes the hot sunshine around three o'clock that makes for a lovely evening! Then we start the whole thing over the next day again!! Right now it's pouring and has been for the last few hours...Soon though I expect the sun...:)
My kids have friends... James and Mark are here to spend a few hours swimming. They planned to swim and play ~only~ outside while Rachel Ann and I clean... But the rain had them in the basement until they finally decided to just go out and play in the rain! Even swimming!...:)
Summer is a blast and we don't mind the rains... We just got used to them. and doing EXTRA garden, flowerbed and yard work is becoming a normal here!! Last year at this time my blog says I hadn't mowed the grass for three weeks! Now I'm still mowing twice a week! This week it might be three times because it's just that thick!! Gets me a good workout with all the extra hoeing!
Dave is off on an investors trip... Las Vegas is the place this time. He is three hours behind us in time! He was up for almost twenty four hours yesterday! He text ed me late... when I was sleeping, (past midnight here) He says "I'm about to go for Sushi with my Skype friends!" I love that he loves to learn and educate himself... Being around "Like Minded" people is something he just thrives on! He always comes back bubbling over with new ideas and talks about all he has learned. (which can be overwhelming to me at times, but I love it...:}) Some of his Skype friends are not even from America so seeing other peoples view on things happening in our Country can be really interesting!
He plans to be in Texas next... Soon... I don't mind him going for a few days at a time. It just happens that two of these outings were really close together this time. It's OK. We have an independent marriage and I wouldn't trade it at all...:)
The kids and I just hangout more...:) We stay up later and talk extra much, some are deep life discussions that otherwise might not have came up...:) I have to get my daily dose of words in somehow so the boys and I just sit and chat until later...:) They love the extra time I shower on them. It seems Dave and I like to catch up evenings after our day is done, and the kids are often doing there own things, when Dave is not here I just join them and they seem to love it...:)
We plan to have a movie night tonight. I'm not sure where yet...? Maybe here, Maybe at a local "Fundraiser" where they are showing an outdoor family movie under the stars... Complete with brownie sundaes and popcorn!! Depends on the weather as to where we will end up for our movie night...?
We spent the day at sister Marilyn's yesterday for a "Sister's Day" We cleaned my green beans as we drank our coffee...:) It was a rainy morning but the sun came out hot and bright and the kids got more sun on there shoulders after all...:) Mom and Grandma Beiler joined us to... I always leave Sisters Day blessed! I love that we live so close to each other and we can get together so much... Sometimes often, sometimes not so often... But we always enjoy it when it works out to do days like these!
Kath is having her baby any day now! She is so ready!! We are so excited to have a newborn in the family again! Her babies are always so adorable to!! Can't wait to meet the Little One!!
Jordan and I ran this morning... Together. A mile and a quarter. It was a good pace. And a good start. I want to get him running again and he likes when I go with him. It seems with his love for eating it can catch up over the Summertime with all the extra party's and vacations, so we got a plan together, we are hoping to stick with it until school starts at least... He has a goal and a reward in the end if we see good results...:)
I feel responsible as the Mom around here to help my kids be and feel healthy. I want to help them live healthy active lifestyles. It seems Jordan is the most sluggish and I can tend to shrug it off with his immune issue, personality and all, but I still think we would all be amazed at how much better he would seem and feel if we would work on watching the food intake for him better. Becoming even more active is another goal we have... A work in progress...:) I keep telling myself... leading as a good example is enough, (and I do believe it helps!) but maybe I really do need to do more..? I want to do that "more" if I can, so here we go... Wish me luck!
I know dieting is hard! I have been there many times! I tried many diets in my days and often lost weight but ended up gaining it back again. I found myself in a battle with food! I would be on a diet that allows "No Bread" on some days... guess what? Those were the days that I was so hungry for bread!!
On the" No Sweet Days" I just craved sweets more then ever!! It really was a battle for me that I never had victory over as a child, and then a youth. I was conscience of being overweight and that is not pleasant to live like that. I never was really really overweight but still felt like I had to much fat. And I did. It really is a mind game with food. Once I conquered that, it took me in a better direction.
I tried "Curves" for a few years and loved it! This is where I found a love for fitness! That was after Jenika was born. I made it a goal to always lose my weight after one baby, before the next pregnancy came along. I had to work hard, but I did accomplish that with all four pregnancy's. Dave often came home from work, back in those "Curves" days, and I was out the door to do my workout. Not the best way, but still I felt so much better! Workouts became my "Me Time" my "Stress Reliever"... and still are...:)
I can feel for Jordan and all the other people on diets! I hate diets and hope to never do one again! I found even more victory when I found my love for running! I have become more active then ever and I love it! I have more goals and I'm not near where I want to be but I'm hoping to keep active and as I learn more and more about healthier food choices I think the biggest battle is behind me. It has become more of a lifestyle for me. I think that is the key to long term success! Lifestyle! Portion Control! Exercises daily! Those are a few things that I have learned that really work... I guess in other words "Self Discipline" I know it's hard but we can do it!!
Anyway enough of my rambling...:)
Here is my granola recipe to those of you who want it... I must tell you though... I never have one batch turn out the same! Dave kinda gets frustrated sometimes, one batch he really really likes but I cannot remember exactly how I did it so they all get different! I can't make another exactly the same batch...:) I guess one of these times I really need to start measuring and keeping track!
I do not eat this granola. I have an issue with so many grains. My stomach does somersaults on me and I do not feel good on this stuff! Dave soaks his in his milk pretty long before he eats it. I like mine crunchy so maybe that's the difference? I have opted to just skip it all together. I make a few batches at a time then freeze it. It lasts a long time and I don't need to make it often.
The last batch I made was ALL USDA organic...
10 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whet germ
1 cup ground flax
1 cup unsweet coconut
1 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup molasses (I did not add and was fine)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups dried fruit like raisins, cranberries or whatever you like
Heat the liquids to dissolve together then add to dry ingredients... add dry fruit when done baking.
Bake 1 hour stirring every fifteen minutes at 350'
I add a few beaten eggs to the mix because that makes it kinda clumpy, Dave prefers it with some clumps and not so dry...? I also added a few bags of mixed nuts I picked up at Wegman's instead of the nuts it calls for... I didn't use any from the bag on the right but it does make a great "in the car" snack!
I'm off to hangout with the kiddos... It's still so rainy! Maybe the sun won't make it out today? I hardly ever check the weather. It's best to just take what comes these days!...:) We are still smiling because we just love Summer... No matter the RAINS!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One more thing I felt led to post...
I took a meal to great friends last night. Even though we are not together as much anymore it's great to be able to come together and feel like we just pick up where we left off! Real friends always make you feel like you never really grew apart! I love this about you Jolene!
If you know Elmer and Jolene you know who I'm talking about... Elmer had an open heart surgery last week. He made it to the hospital from work last Monday in the midst of a heart attack! He is so young and I shiver to think of him not having made it through this! There is so much out there that the Doctors can do these days (such a blessing) so he is home on the mend once again. Lift them up in prayer for a fast recovery and for the boys. This is hereditary so the boys all need to have heart checks done as well!
I feel led to lift them up at this time so I'm going to open up a grocery shower. They have four boys and I know how boys love to eat. With Jolene spending energy on her husband and doing what she can at this time, I though it would be great to bless them with snacks, or any kind of groceries as this time. We are here on this earth for a purpose and I believe God wants us to lift each other up as Christians in times of need. If you follow me and want to bless them, contact me, I'll get the groceries somehow. I'll leave it open for a few weeks.
Thinking of Jolene and her family...
Be Blessed this Friday...


.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment