Monday, January 11, 2016

Cold Front... Missing Kombucha!??

The locals tell us a cold front moved in last night. We are not convinced because today is 72 degrees! We do notice it is not as warm as yesterday and we did open all the doors and windows today which is nice because I love to see out and not feel so boarded in like when the air conditioner is running. But still 72 degrees has them pulling on socks! We are still in shorts and strap shirts even if we got a cold front!..:)

This is our street right now!

Lots of digging! We have to park our golf cart at the coffee shop for the time being so we not get trapped in. The digging is good though because it means progress!! Today we don't have water again and we also haven't had WIFI at the house for the past few days. We can sit on the vacant porches a few houses up from us and catch the coffee shops wifi but I miss having it in the house and Ariel does to because she is doing lots of online stuff with Jenika right now until we get our hands on the rest of her school books.

Today school was a stretch for the Little's. They were used to an hour each last week but today they had work the whole three hours Ariel was here. It took Ariel a bit to catch on to what to give them to do while she worked with them individually but she got the feel of it and so they have work the whole time now. Tomorrow we plan to give the Little's a fifteen minute snack break just to break up the hours at the table for them. They also have more homework here but we are okay with that since they get less school hours in.

Javon helped me make cookies today... The others got scarfed up in no time. We are bit sweet deprived compared to at home and it has been good for us but I had the supplies on hand so we made another batch of chocolate chip cookies today, they are in the freezer and I'm hoping they last longer this time around... :) We did invest in a measuring cup now...


This is what the coffee table looks like most days... This clutter despising mama is being stretched but it's all good...:)


This is what we get to see, touch, smell each time we step off of our porch!...:)


Today I brewed tea to make my first batch of Kombucha in Belize! I kept checking on my mushroom that grew from the bottle of kombucha that I brought along.  I kept showing it off to Dave and the kids. It was looking great and I was so proud of it since I didn't think I could make Kombucha here. Today when my tea was cold enough and I finally had my hands on a glass jar (after searching many many places!) I went for my tea with the mushroom in it that I had on the back porch. It was gone!!?? I couldn't believe it!! I went for a walk and a ways down I found the towel and rubber band I had on the top just laying on the ground! I went to ask around but nobody seemed to have a clue. I was so beat out!! Oh well I guess we are back to the original "No Kombucha in Belize" Unless I can research a way to start from complete scratch and by that time we will probably be heading home! It was thriving here in this weather to!! We have racoons so maybe they drug it into the canal!?

 The reason I had the tea outside was because our air conditioner has the house colder and less consistent temps.

What do I miss the most about my big house?? Probably my bathroom and laundry room! The laundry is getting folded on the bed but it works...:)


I put supper in the crock pot and once today the water came on so I quickly started laundry and washed the breakfast dishes. We plan to do supper at the house but we are really hoping the water comes back on soon. It will be GRAND when they are done digging!!

It is great to see progress though. They are working up and down the streets connecting the sewer pipes. It won't be long before they can turn it on. They can turn on one street at a time with the way they are hooking it up. This week they are working on our street and we are never sure if we will have very bumpy or smooth driving conditions back here!! Piles of dirt, sand and stones are being hauled in so we are thinking it's only a matter of time before they fill it all in nicely giving the carts a smooth ride! The landscapers are so busy to!! They dig, plant and water from sun up to sundown all around us! The housekeepers are flurrying in and out of the units. I don't know if they are cleaning or preparing for guests but either way they look busy..:)

The big boys both have bikes now. I took them to town to pick up Jordan's bike this afternoon. They promptly said "We are going to cocoa beach to swim!" I expect them home for supper anytime. Justin and Dave both have a local phone so it's nice to be able to call them when they are out. They get bored here on this messy property to long.

We visited the library again today. The Little's only get two book each so we burn through them but we can go back as often as we like. I read the stories to them in the middle of the day and then they read them to me the next day or so until we visit the library again. We also play UNO at all times of the day here! I must up my running workouts because I'm used to being busy taking care of a big house and here the house work can all be done in an hour!... I'm loving it and this week was the first I even picked up a book. It felt like my mind was in a deep rest! Coming out of the busy holiday seasons, packing and doing extra house cleaning at home my mind has been stunned until this week...:) Quality of life is what pulls me here!!

Thanks for keeping up with us here in this place of endless summer... Thanks for the comments... I love them! We miss the people back home so much but so far that is almost all we miss...:)

The sun is peaking today but we have mostly clouds so we have kept it low key around the house.

Dave is busy making connections and his office work from home keeps him stepping! He is up so early I never even hear him get out of bed!... We do sleep a bit longer then we did when we first arrived. We are an hour behind you all at home so I guess it just took adjusting...

2 comments:

  1. We had our bug spray and suntan spray go missing from our cart. Oddly enough, we found the bug spray on the air conditioning unit by the next house. Guess it's true, don't leave anything outside unattended....even tea??!! I would love to hear more about the kombucha tea and essential oils sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete and Ken say they have brought in some sub workers recently and the sewer workers are also outsiders so they are thinking it might be these newbies that are taking things. They have a great crew here on sight and they do trust the regular workers. We are just being more careful right now...:}

    ReplyDelete