Monday, October 6, 2014

Chili Recipe... From Belize...

It's another scorcher day here in Belize! Loving it totally!! We ran a few miles on the beach this morning now Dave is off to finish up the last of the tour with a breakfast and the question and answer session. We have Tony scheduled to take us out on the boat later this afternoon.

Last night at supper... Dave and I shared a lobster burrito at Wuraguma's. Cheap and so fresh! We met some of Dave's sindication investors here for another educational chat over this yummy meal.

Before we left home I made some freezer meals and baked lots of goodies so Roxy has some easy meals to prepare while we are away. I have been canning some to so when I saw this yummy looking chili recipe somewhere I thought it would be perfect with baked potatoes or something for a quick meal. I made only one batch and decided to just can it along with other soup that I was canning. It turned out AMAZING! It only made like four quarts and I think we were down to only one by the time we left for Belize so I doubt Roxy even had much to serve for a meal. I want to do more of this when I get back!! It's Jordan friendly to! This makes it a bonus!!

I will share it with you...

The seasoning I mixed myself so I will give you this recipe first....

4 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons sea salt
4 teaspoons black pepper
Mix and store in an air tight container

For the Hearty Chili...
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic minced
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
2 tablespoons of the chili seasoning (above) or one envelope chili seasoning.
2 (14.5 oz) canned diced tomatoes. (I use the ones that specify "for chili" and also organic)
2 (15 oz.) kidney beans, undrained
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce of you choice
1 large potato peeled and cubed
1 cup frozen corn

In a large dutch oven cook ground beef over medium-high heat until evenly browned. Drain excess grease.
 Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno and cook five minutes. stirring often. Sprinkle meat with the seasoning mix (or envelope package) and mix stirring for about three minutes.
 Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, hot sauce and potato, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours. stir in the corn the last fifteen minutes. Garnish with cheese and sour cream.
(I did not simmer it long but then canned and gave it a three hour hot water bath)
It turned out so yummy with the flavors so well blended!

I'm enjoying my kitchen break so much!! This morning as I was picking up laundry in town I grabbed a few tacos from a little taco stand. Three tacos satisfied me and I'm on my way again. No messy kitchen for me this morning!...:) It seems with the food journey we are on I'm always thinking about food, trying to come up with what would be good or even often "how can I get more creative for Jordan?" I chop and chop as does Jordan! We have gotten accustomed to chopping veggies at every meal!

I have been doing some research with my time down here and I'm looking at freezer meals. The research online looks overwhelming but I'm thinking I could narrow it down and just spend a few days preparing handy freezer meals. Some are great to just throw in a crock pot which could be for supper and also school lunch the next day.? I have to come up with a better morning routine for school lunches since it get crazy at times, so I'm trying to find some creative ideas. Having something quick and handy for the school lunches takes careful preparation if I want it to be healthy and Jordan friendly! We are still not into the swing of this school routine we have but I will be working on making it simpler when I get back home...

I'm off to get this day started in Belize.. Let's see... No schedule. Nothing time sensitive!!. Beautiful blue skies. "very warm" (or HOT rather) Temps. Sand. Ocean. Coffee Shop. Lots of reading  material. SOMEBODY PINCH ME!! This can't be for real!!...

Outside my door a bit ago... It's so warm I think I'll hang around inside just a bit yet...!:)
 
When I first came down here none of this was here! It's all happening so fast and every time we come it's even more developed. The plans for this village look amazing and the vision behind it is so cool. The crew behind this project is on top of their game and top notch! These building kits are being built in Belmopan, (on the main land) by the Mennonites as fast as they can crank them out,  they are then shipped here to the island for quick assembly. Staying in one of these complexes is an honor.
 
 
 
Enjoy your day whatever you are doing today. God has been good to us here in Belize. I hear it's cold at home today. I love the fall season and the chilly weather but I don't think I'd have a problem staying here until about April!...(I know I wouldn't) :) I just want my kids in my presence so we are coming back tomorrow...:) I'm so ready to see them!

1 comment: