Thursday, September 5, 2013

More Canning...~!

Today was another day spent preserving food!! It was again to lovely outside to spend the day in the basement but I still got out enough to enjoy the weather and working in the basement was fun to.

Mom and Kath came here today to join me this time. Kath wanted salsa done and Mom had a basket of peaches to do. It got a little chaotic at times with three preschoolers and a newborn to keep up with as we were trying to get rolling with this canning!

I wanted more salsa for myself anyway so I figured I'd help Kath accomplish hers to. I remember the baby days and getting around just takes so much more time and effort, and often done on way to little sleep!

 We got around sixty pints of salsa done. Kath also did some tomatoes into just juice while Mom and I were working on the peaches. At one time today we were rolling our eyes that we had so many projects started at once and the day was getting away from us... fast!

It was fun though and it is again a great feeling of accomplishment to have so many more jars filled and sealed...:)


The shelves are filling up and the list is winding down... I'd like to do meat in the caners yet but that can be done later. I  love to preserve these foods fresh from local produce and the real homemade stuff is just always better and better for you. The fun really begins when we can keep going to the canning shelf for meals all Winter long!...:)

Grape juice is huge here to and that will be coming up in a few weeks. We are down to the last few gallons so we are looking forward to filling up the juice jars again.

I really enjoy this kind of thing and I love when my Mom and sisters come to help,  I'm still trying to figure out if it goes faster when they are here or if I just go at it alone?? Sometimes I think I work faster and more officiant when working alone but days like these are still always about being together as we work and I enjoy them tremendously...:) Javon sure enjoyed the company...:)

The day tomorrow will be spent out of the basement~!... Other things have been getting neglected so it will be a cleaning and yard day which is an all day affair here but I enjoy the variety of my job and it's really fun to because I get to enjoy the kids all at the same time the work is getting done...:)

Jenika has been getting her pony time in everyday after school! She gets so mad at this guy for not going the way she directs him! We are thinking she needs a bridal soon so she can handle him better.


Do you preserve foods?? I love to try new things in the canning line.

 I heard some are even canning meadow tea! If we would drink more of this tea I'd consider trying it? Maybe I will yet? It would be great to have on hand for when we have guests this Winter. I think it would be a treat to have a Summer time favorite, like meadow tea in the Winter!

 I have found when I get to creative then those are the things that don't go over so well with my family. I find it's better to stick with what I know we like and just do lots of it. I don't like to have to much left from year to year because it can get out of hand to fast and before we know it we will have canned food from years ago!!  Mom said today Dad is eating canned peaches in his lunch from back in 09!! You will surely enjoy this new batch Dad but you might be best off to eat the 09's first!!

Have a blessed evening...









No comments:

Post a Comment